My Music Video

My Website

My Website
Click HERE to view my website

Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Blog Post 5: Research into Existing TV Commercials for Take-Away Food Delivery Services

I researched existing food delivery service adverts to identify the conventions used in these types of commercials. I would then be able to use these conventions in my own adverts in order to make them seem like real, competitive take-away adverts.

I started off by watching a broad range of take-away TV commercials that I found on youtube. I then chose 10 different adverts and used a table to help me record the different components that made up each advert. The research record table is embedded below.



Research record


Take-away adverts usually include the following conventions:

  • brand logo
  • music
  • a wide variety of camera shots
  • fast paced editing
  • different settings
  • humour
  • genre hybridity
  • intertextuality

I found that some of the adverts didn't contain all of the conventions, however all of the conventions were seen across all 10 adverts collectively.  I decided to analyse Just Eat's 'Madras, Baby!' advert in more depth.




The advert starts off with a couple deciding what to order from just eat. The man passes over his tablet to his girlfriend so that she can scroll through the app to decide what type of food she wants. We see that there are lots of options to choose from, suggesting that Just Eat offer a wide variety of cuisines on offer. The use of the app also shows that it is easy and simple to order food from Just Eat, persuading the audience to use the service.

The iconic 90's hit 'I see you baby' then starts playing as the room changes into a dream like setting. The girl is now standing inside of a chicken madras curry, surrounded by four men in orange latex outfits, who appear to be part of her dream. The lyrics to the song have been changed so that it is now about chicken madras. The use of intertextuality with 90s pop music is nostalgic for the audience as most of them will have heard this iconic pop song before. The dream like setting and funny costumes also create humour for the audience, making the advert more appealing to them.

The advert then ends with the woman waking up from her day dream. Her boyfriend is slightly confused as he orders the curry which provides additional humour for the audience. The Just Eat website icon then appears on the screen and the voiceover reads out the slogan 'get that mini fist bump feeling'. The slogan suggests that ordering from Just Eat will make you feel great and so persuades the audience to order.






I also looked into Just Eat's 'Balti Rocks!' advert as this was part of the same campaign. This tied in with my project as I am creating 2 adverts that need to look consistent and promote the same brand. I was therefore able to see how Just Eat managed to achieve synergy across 2 different adverts.


They both use:
  • a domestic setting with the couple deciding what they want to order from Just Eat 
  • iconic songs where the lyrics have been changed to revolve around food ('I see you baby' - Amanda groove and 'I need a hero' - Bonnie Tyler)
  • funny costumes with 'Just Eat' printed on them
  • same logo
  • same slogan

The adverts also have both male and female protagonists. This is appealing to both men and women and has inspired me to think about the types of characters I will use in my adverts to create appeal with my own target audience.

This research was very helpful to me as I will be able to use the conventions that I have found in food delivery adverts in my own advert campaign. For example, I plan to use humour and intertextuality in both of my adverts as this will make them more memorable. The adverts that influenced me most where the two adverts above from Just Eat and Uber Eats 'The new Uber Eats is here'. This because they both use different techniques to persuade the audience to use their services. Just Eat uses humour and intertextuality, whereas Uber Eats shows the audience that they are speedy and reliable through fast paced editing and upbeat music.


sources:

Just Eat advert (youtube)

Uber Eats advert (youtube)

No comments:

Post a Comment