My Music Video

My Website

My Website
Click HERE to view my website

Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Blog Post 3: The ASA BCAP code

The ASA BCAP code is a set of regulations that every advert must be checked against before being aired on television. It was crucial to research what these rules were so that I was aware about what I could and couldn't put in my adverts for them to be suitable to broadcast.

In total, there are 32 rules and regulations, however only 6 relate to advertising a food delivery service. These include:

  • misleading advertising
  • alcohol or 18+ video games
  • harm and offence
  • food, food supplements and associated health or nutrition claims 
  • social responsibility around cars, roads and driving
  • avoid promoting competition






Some adverts are banned after being aired if the ASA receives complaints. For example the McDonald's advert that I have embedded below received over 100 complains and was therefore banned.





The advert is about a young boy who has recently lost his father. He asks his mum what his dad was like and it seems that he is the complete opposite to him. His father was great at football, but the young boy can't kick a ball and his father was a 'right catch' but the young boy doesn't get any female attention. However right at the end of the advert, the mother and son go into McDonalds and the boy orders the same thing that his dad used to oder.

The advert was said to be insensitive about child bereavement and used grief in order to sell fast food. People were absolutely outraged and McDonalds has since apologised.


It is vey important to know about the codes that I need to adhere to when creating my adverts so that I don't break any of the rules accidentally. I plan not to make any inaccurate claims about the food that YourFood delivers and I also intend not to include any violence in either of my adverts.



sources:

Ofcom website

youtube

No comments:

Post a Comment