My Music Video

My Website

My Website
Click HERE to view my website

Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Post 8: My Music Video

Vernallis views music video as having a set of underlying principles, based on the creating a relationship between the audio and visual. This means music videos are usually presented through fragmented, multiple narratives and perspectives.

I have analysed the music videos of two mainstream, pop artists in order to see how media language is used to communicate narrative and performance. I am also interested to see how people, places and issues are represented.

'Don't call me up' by Mabel

Mabel- Don't Call Me Up




This music video is more performance based, with elements of narrative running throughout. The video is about Mabel getting over a break-up, despite her ex trying desperately to get back together with her. The lyrics are illustrated by the visuals, as we see Mabel ignoring all his attempts of him trying to 'call her up'.

The video starts with a few narrative shots of the ex boyfriend trying to call Mabel. This instantly clarifies the message of the song and makes the narrative easier to follow.


There are a range of shots used in the music video, however, I identified a significant use of CU or 'money shots'. These shots help to sell the artist, as we are seeing them up close. Furthermore, there are lots of low-angle shots of Mabel, connoting that she is stronger, and that she doesn't need to be in the relationship anymore. This is appealing to young women, as it gives them a sense of empowerment, and shows them that men don't define who they are. 


The majority of the video is shot in an interior setting, underneath studio lighting, giving the video a professional and glossy feel. The locations symbolise typical places where people get over a break up. For example, we have Mabel in her bedroom getting pampered by her girl friends. This is usually seen to happen when people have just left a relationship. We also have all of the girls outside, dressed up to go to the club. This signifies that Mabel just wants to forget about her ex and focus on having fun with her friends.




'Happier' by Marshmello ft. Bastille


Happier - Marshmello ft. Bastille




This music video is completely narrative based. There are no performance elements and we never see the artist who sings the song. Furthermore, the lyrics are amplified by the visuals. When listening to the song on the radio, I imagined it to be about a couple going through a break up. However, this video adds a new layer of meaning to the lyrics, as it is about a girl who is bullied at school and becomes unhappy. The only thing that seems to comfort her is her dog, but unfortunately at the end of the music video he dies. This video appeals to the audience through pulling on their heart strings, and making them think about the most important things in life.

The camera work and editing are incredible in this video. There are lots of moving shots used to symbolise movement through time, and these are typically cut to the beat to create a quicker pace. The main character grows up throughout the music video, however, she is always recognised through wearing a yellow bow in her hair. This makes it easier for the audience to follow along with the narrative. 

The use of lighting is also symbolic of mood. The scene when the girl first receives her puppy changes from normal lighting, to bright yellow lighting to symbolise her happiness. Furthermore, the final scenes when her dog are dying are dimly lit, to connote sadness and death.





The girl is bullied at school, and this is seen when the 'mean girl' make fun of her. The main character is very stereotypically 'geeky'. She wears her hair in pigtails with bows, and has braces. The other girls wear lots of makeup and tighter clothing to suggest that they are popular. This could be a direct intertextual link with the film 'Mean Girls' or any other high school related drama.



The artist 'Marshmallow' makes his presence known despite not actually featuring in the music video. This is through the use of easter eggs. We see either his name or logo in several places throughout the music video. He does this to ensure that the audience know that this is a 'Marshmello' music video.





Both of these videos have inspired my work massively. I intend to borrow some ideas from Mabel, in terms of creating a fun and interesting performance. I want to have a dance routine that is performed by me and some back-up dancers. I also intend on borrowing some editing techniques used in the Marshmallow video to help me symbolise a movement in time. I will do this through fades and zooms, as well as changing the pace to suggest travelling.

After analysing several pop music videos by various artists, I had to start planning what I wanted my own music video to look like. I began to document some of my initial narrative ideas. I have embedded these below.











After finalising my narrative idea, I decided to storyboard some of my initial ideas to get an understanding of what some of my shots would look like and where I wanted them to be placed. The ideas were adapted several times after being reviewed by my peers and teachers.


Storyboard

Storyboard


Once I had my basic narrative outline, I began to plan the production process. Firstly, I created a cast list. This helped me to think about the characters that I wanted in my music video, as well as the costumes and props that they would need on the shoot days.




Then, I created a list of props that I would need in my music video. I spent lots of time collecting records, furniture and other props that would connote '1960s' to use in my video. These can be seen below.



Next, I did a location recce, where I took pictures of all the locations that I would need to shoot. I also made a note of all the props that I would need in each of the loactions.



I also decided to create a collage of hair and make-up from the 1960s. These will be used as inspiration when I come to recreate a 60s look on the day of the shoot.



For costumes, I did the same. I also had to make sure that these outfits were realistic as I will have to source all of the clothing myself.



It was also really important to schedule when and where I was going to be filming, in order to keep the production process running as smoothly as possible. I filled in a studio shoot timetable, which stated the time and date when I would be filming my shots in the studio.



Lastly, I created shoot boards that I will use on the day of the shoot. These helped me organise the running order of my shots so that the filming days run smoothly.


Shoot board Page 1

Shoot board Page 2

Shoot board Page 3

No comments:

Post a Comment