My Music Video

My Website

My Website
Click HERE to view my website

Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Post 1: The UK Music Industry

I found out a lot about the music industry in order to understand the social and economic contexts behind the production of my music video and website.

The global music industry is composed of individuals and companies who earn money by creating and selling music. It also encompasses the organisations that represent the music creators; producers, publishers, recording studios and performance rights organisations.


The UK has one of the largest music markets world wide, generating £865.5 million revenue in 2018. This was fuelled by a combination of increases in steaming, enduring sales of vinyl and the popularity of diverse British artists.

Record labels are often under the control of organisations called 'music groups'. These are typically owned by international, conglomerate, holding companies and consist of music publishing companies, sound recording manufacturers, record distributors and the record label itself.

The three music groups currently dominating the music industry in are Universal Music Group, Sony Music Entertainment and Warner Music Group. These are commonly referred to as the 'Big Three'.








My artist is signed to Sony Music, one of the biggest record labels in the UK and worldwide. Below, I have embedded my research into Sony Music and Sony Music UK. I have discovered a lot about the industry context of Sony, as well as the types of artists they sign and their brand ethos.





Artists signed to Sony Music

Subsidiaries of sony include Columbia Records, Ministry of Sound, SYCO Music and BB Records.

Columbia Records

Ministry of Sound

SYCO Music
Black Butter



Learning about Sony Music and Sony Music UK has given me a better understanding of the music industry. I have discovered the different types of artists that are signed to the label, and also the type of music that they produce. This has helped inform my decisions about the type of artist that I need to construct, as well as the music that they should produce.

Furthermore, I have learnt about the profit driven nature of the music industry. Curran and Seaton state that conglomerates aim to make profit in order to retain their power. Therefore, my artist must be manufactured to make a profit for Sony Music. I will do this by creating a fun and exciting star persona that appeals to the target audience, making them want to buy tickets and merch.
                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment