My Music Video

My Website

My Website
Click HERE to view my website

Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Post 7: My Pop Artist or Band

Pop artists tend to conform to a certain style and fashion. They often follow mainstream fashion trends that are popular amongst their target audience. 

There are currently lots of female pop artists in the music industry, and I find that their styles are all becoming quite similar. Therefore, I believe that there is a gap in the market for a female pop artist with a completely different aesthetic. I have been massively influenced by 80s and 90s fashion, looking at singers such as Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera and Madonna. I think they 'older style' will be refreshing to see, and make my artist stand out in the industry.

Britney Spears

Madonna

Christina Aguilera

After lots of research, I began to create my own star persona. Richard Dyer's 'star' theory talks about how star personas are constructed. Stars are manufactured by the music industry in order to make money out of audiences. Record companies recognise the importance of providing something new and fresh to the audience, and this is why I have decided to take inspiration from 'old school fashion'. Stars also represent shared cultural values and attitudes and also promote certain ideologies. I want my pop artist to be an ambassador for women and women's charities, and use her platforms to empower women.

I created a mood board and started to construct a star persona.




My pop artist is Belle Tyler, a 19 year old from North London. She rose to fame in 2016 after winning The Voice Kids UK, where she was signed to Sony Music record label. Belle writes all of her own music, usually focusing on themes of relationships, self worth and independence.







 I then created a costume design that my artist will wear in the music video. I will be wearing a neon pink top with matching heels, alongside a black mini skirt. I will also be wearing lots of jewellery as this was common in the 80s.

I want my hair to be curled and parted to one side of my head. My makeup will be very bold and exciting. Using my mood board as inspiration, I want to have glittery eyeshadow and pink lipstick as I think that these will stand out.


costume design


I want to make Belle seem authentic, talented and kind. She is going to be an active member of the community, constantly giving back and making sure to spend time with her fans. I can show this through organising meet and greets and competitions on my website to show that I am interacting with my fans.

I also want to be part of a campaign, which is why I have decided to partner up with Missguided. 



They are a brand that aim to empower women globally, and make them feel comfortable in their own skin. Currently, they are promoting the #lovethyself campaign, which brings together women of all sizes and promotes beauty regardless of size. This will show my audience that I am not just another celebrity, but an artist that uses my platform to benefit others. I will show my support of the campaign on my website and social media pages.   



Belle's feminism is also apparent through the song 'Dear Future Husband' as it talks about women being respected and treated correctly. Furthermore, the lyrics 'don't be thinking i'll be home and baking apple pies' show that she won't conform to the housewife stereotype. She has her own career and she feels strong and powerful enough to express that.

No comments:

Post a Comment